Saturday, August 16

When I was in Wales

Dan talked about how he and his musical friends would sit around in a room with their instruments, recorders, and a TV with a DVD player. They would mute the TV and begin a film they enjoyed. After watching a scene they'd pause it and start playing what they felt. They'd have it recorded and so compose their own version of the film's soundtrack. I thought that was beautiful.

Dan I still haven't gotten used to the sheep noises. Sometimes they sound like regular baas but sometimes they sound like a human making a poor attempt at a baa. Sometimes they just sound like they're burping. I just walk along the road pissing myself laughing because sheep make the most awesomely daft noises in the world.

I'm in the Outer Hebrides, which are the islands off the west coast of Scotland. I'm currently in the library in Stornoway on Lewis. It's very hard to find internet out here. I have another huge post and many pictures that I think I will be able to upload very soon.

Traveling for two months isn't always a vacation. I mean obviously; it's two months. Sometimes there are so many things flying around in my head competing with the views like how some people back home hate me, or what the hell am I doing here, or am I growing forwards or backwards, outwards or inwards, who do I love and who do I think I love, how can I enlighten myself today. And honestly what does it mean to be in love? I haven't the faintest idea. See you soon folks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to see you can post once in awhile. Sounds heavenly!

Anonymous said...

Some more tips about sound-tracking at home: I recommend playing live while the film rolls (no pausing), and muting the audio on your television. If you have a multi-track recorder you can always put the original audio on a separate track, for selective mixing later, but it's distracting to hear the original soundtrack when you and your pals are trying to do something mind-blowing of your own. I can't decide whether it's better to do a film you know, or one you don't. My preference is to soundtrack films I've never seen, because that way I don't know what's coming up making the film feel improvised, too. That said, I haven't done as much of this as I'd like to. We did Big Trouble in Little China and, having not seen it, I felt liberated to interpret the scenes as I felt them, especially the ones with magical lightning and kung fu. Good luck.
Dan

Anonymous said...

People who hate you back home are also sulking in a monotonous existence! We all know who is cooler.